Sunday, October 20, 2013

More Anniversary Thoughts

It's been a year now since I started on this adventure. Nah, forget that, I've been on this adventure for a long time now. This was never the end all for me. At times it feels like it. Don't get me wrong, in this moment, in this space, in this time, this is where I want to be. This is where I belong. I can't picture myself anywhere else.

In the past I've made decisions, for better or worse, based off of if I could see myself in a certain role, in a certain place. I once saw myself as a doctor, but as I changed, the image faded. The only way I could picture myself day in and day out behind a desk and a computer was being miserable. I tried that, and the misery set in. I cannot comprehend a happy me back at a 9 to 5 job pushing papers. So I took to the skies. I don't make much and sometimes I don't do much. In spite of being broke and bored a lot of the time I have faith in a great future.

The faith in the future I hold revolves around one concept, one ideal: experience. It has always been about experience. I want to experience as much as I can in this life. As they say, we only get one. So I'm going to stimulate all five of my senses, and possibly more, with as much stimuli as I can. I will stand high on the mountain and take in the beauty of Macchu Picchu and the Inca trail. I will feel the warmth of the Caribbean Sea. I will smell the aromas of fresh foreign markets. I will taste local cuisine from all over the world. I will hear conversations in languages I do not understand. I will imagine these things until I make them a reality.

So that's why I do what I do. It gets me out there. In a way that makes it capable with my means, my talents, and my fears. It gets me out there. It allows me experiences I wouldn't have otherwise. Flying serves as a catalyst to so much more.

(As I wrote this I realized I write too introspectively. I talk too much about what I want to do and not enough about what I am doing, what I have seen, and what I have felt.)

No comments: