Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Muchas gracias Mexico. ¡Estoy satisfecho!


Do you remember those Herbal Essence shampoo commercial? You know, the one with the girl in the shower making a ruckus. That is precisely the experience I have when I eat authentic, down to the corn tortilla, Mexican food. My mouth has peaked multiple times in one sitting and innumerous times in one day. Bursts of complimenting flavors are introduced into my mouth simultaneously creating a rare, and yet, very profound eating experience.

I must admit, it has been great to have a friend to find the right restaurants and tell me what to order. Otherwise, I may have had a totally different experience altering my perception completely. We didn't have to look hard for our first meal upon arriving in Mexico. The friends we were staying with happened to have a lot of family in town for the week. It seems to me for any Mexican family gathering there is food, beer, tequila, and a damn good time. Immediately we were taken care of. I don't everything that was in that first meal but I had my first taste of food heaven. I was served a bowl of rice and a bowl of a meat concoction with potatoes, tomatoes, and a sort of saucy soupy mix. On the side were tortillas and pico de gallo. Poor description but love at first taste is meaningless to the outsider. Later that night I had a fresh mango. O-mazing! Now I have had mango before but not this fresh and not this tasty. Sprinkle a little tajin on the fruit and wow more flavor than one untrained mouth can handle! And the mangos are cheap! And that was only the beginning…

Now I could go through each days eating itinerary but that would be nearly as painful for the ready as if I were to describe every juicy kiss in a passionate romance. Let me just say this: The tacos are better in Mexico, the fruit is better in Mexico, the seafood is amazing in Mexico horchatas and tortas make an excellent combination, not to mention the cheese crepes (I forget what they are called) are a perfect combination of sweet and salty, and the Doritos are the best I have ever had. A little more about the Doritos: We stopped at a gas station during one of our many mini-excursions and Doritos were just calling my name, as they often do. I picked up a big of nacho cheese Doritos expecting the normal goodness of nacho cheese Doritos. But boy were my taste buds in for a surprise…one bite and…bam!...I was shocked with a taste I was not familiar with. These were not the Doritos I knew and loved. These were something far better, far tastier, and far more satisfying! The cheese was cheesier, the chip crispier, and to top it off they threw in not a hint, but an explosion of chilies and spices. Honestly, I think I barely scrapped the surface of what Mexico has to offer food lovers.

In closing let me say this: I love food and it's apparent. I have always enjoyed what I have known to be Mexican food. So much so my friends and I decided to tour every Mexican restaurant in Cedar City, which had nearly twenty Mexican restaurants at the time. Not an amazing feat but tasty feat, nonetheless. Overall, however, we found these restaurants to be strikingly similar on the menus and on the taste buds. Casa Don Miguel stood out as the sure winner. But I have moved on from Cedar City and now I'm scared to go back to eating what America calls Mexican food. Hell, most Mexicans have no idea what a chimichanga is! My point is this: If anybody knows where an authentic Mexican food joint in Salt Lake is I would love to join your secret society, so please fill me in!

Por último, muchas gracias Mexico. ¡Estoy satisfecho!


1 comment:

Darin and Kali said...

dude is that your girlfriend in the pink? That's tight you went to Mexico. I wish I would have done some more international travleing when I was single. It's way to hard once you get hitched and even harder once you have a kid. We missed you at the going away party for abe and aaron and spouses. I'm glad to see we're on your blog links list. I'm at work and can't add you but I'll do it later tonight.