Thursday, March 26, 2009

Juan Es Su Nombre


Translation: John is his name. Such is the motto of La Isla del Encanto, Puerto Rico. Apparently it refers to John the Baptist. All in all, kind of weird. I still love Puerto Rico, regardless. Here's why:

The world's best bioluminescent bay resides off the Puerto Rican island of Vieques. Mosquito Bay hosts more than 700,000 microscopic bioluminescent organisms per gallon, the highest concentration in the world. The result is something that must be experienced in person and in the water. Don't be afraid to take a swim! And when you do go may I suggest taking the kayak tour provided by Heaven Karibe and my friend Jorge.

Old San Juan is one of the most visually enticing cities I've ever been in. The views are fantastic. Being on a small islet Old San Juan boasts oceanic views from any side of the small city, and even from the center of the city if your high enough. The architecture of Old San Juan is colorful and far different than anything I've seen in the States. Accentuating the beautiful buildings old blue cobblestone paves the narrow streets. Furthermore, attractive plazas spot the city which must be shared with the pigeons and statues. My favorite of these statues involves naked people and upside babies...

Honestly, I can't boast too much about the food. I do love the word Mofongo and I thoroughly enjoy a chimichurri steak. When it comes down to it there's too much fried-ness for me. However, I can't get enough PARCHA! Any way it is served: frappe, juice, ice cream, "con rum", you name it, I love it! In fact I want some right now!

Now on to Vieques, where the horses run wild and enjoy showering with the guests. It is just fantastic sitting and eating and watch young Puerto Ricans trot by on their horses with a rope and a blanket as a saddle. I saw my first wild Sea Turtle the first time I was there. Vieques is a wonderful wonderful place.

And finally, Culebra. Home of Playa Flamenco. A beach with beautiful soft sand and warm, clear blue Caribbean water. The waves during this last trip were excellent for body surfing, boogie boarding, or even possibly surfing. Although the locals love to visit Playa Flamenco the beach rarely feels crowded. The camp ground is roughly 20 feet from the beach. When hungry head to the beach entrance for some chicken, pork, swordfish, or shark pinchos (kabobs). They are tasty and cheap!

Truly, a lot more could be said for Puerto Rico. These were just a few of the things that will keep me going back. I feel bad leaving things out like El Yunque, Rincon, Desecheo, and Camuy Caves. All of which are impressive in their own right. My advice: GO TO PUERTO RICO! No passport required!

No comments: